Polygamy has been a part of the Mormon church almost from the beginning. Current church policy prohibits the practice of marrying and living with multiple wives, although there are still men who are sealed to multiple women.
This episode is the story of a woman who grew up in mainstream Mormonism and how she and her husband searched for a way to practice the doctrine of the plurality of wives inside the dictates of the church and the law of the land.
Michelle will be watching the comments so she can respond to questions and discuss issues brought up in her story.
As you leave comments, remember that Daughter of Mormonism seeks to provide a safe place for women to share their stories. This is a real story from a real person. Please see the Comment Policy for further details.
If you would like to learn more about polygamy in the early Mormon church, here are some resources.
- Remembering the Wives of Joseph Smith
- Family Search Record for Joseph Smith
- LDS.org entry for Polygamy (Plural Marriage)
- Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith by Linda King Newell and Valeen Tippetts Avery
- In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith by Todd Compton
- Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Lyman Bushman
- Mormon Stories: Intro to Mormon Polygamy with Todd Compton Pt. 1
- Mormon Stories: Intro to Mormon Polygamy with Todd Compton Pt. 2
- Mormon Stories: Intro to Mormon Polygamy with Todd Compton Pt. 3
- Mormon Expression: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith
- Mormon Expression: Book Club: Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith
- Mormon Expression: Polygamy Manifesto for Dummies Part 1
- Mormon Expression: Polygamy Manifesto for Dummies Part 2